O

DIOCESE OF WENCHOSTER DIRECTORY 2003 - 2004

ALPHABETICAL LIST OF PARISHES

O

 

 

THE PARISH OF OVERCAMP

 

Patrons: The Bishop of East Broadwench; The Bishop of Nobbling (ECUSA) (Alternate)

 

Overcamp (St. Alice the Hapless) (Samaritan Freephone in the belfry)

 

Pop: 88 ER 32

 

 

 

 

 

R:

STAGGERS, Canon Marmeduke, The Vicarage, Long Lane, Overcamp.

WN57 3JK

01991 114552

 

W:

CHI-CHI, Mr. Yakamoto, Hiding House, Closette.

WN57 7DZ

01154 915347

 

W:

PUTIN, Mr. Ras, Kremlin Cottage, Double Bends, Overcamp.

WN57 3FC

01991 115149

 

Sec:

ANTO, Mrs. Esper, Pitman Hall, Overcamp.

WN57 3DL

01991 116147

 

Tr:

CHINGIS, Mr. Khan, The Stables, Major Winkle.

WN56 8IJ

01154 912334

 

DSR:

BELLE, Mrs. Esmerelda, Hugo House, Minor Winkle.

WN56 9NB

01154 917246

 

 

Notes

 

 

 

 

1. Somewhere in this parish was located the Nunnery of Shaston Farthing which was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536. The buildings were dismantled by local people, and many of the stones can be found today in the older houses of Overcamp. The original location of the Church (dedicated to St. Miriam the Virgin), together with the dormitories, apothecarium and refectory, is now uncertain. The Archdeaconry takes its name from this medieval female enclosed community.

 

 

 

2. Also in this parish was the village of East Broadwench which fell into the sea during the Great Gale of December 11th 1827. The whole community, including the Norman church of St. Phoebe the Thick, was destroyed in the space of 5 hours as the sea eroded the coastline. No trace of it now remains, though local legend says that at high tide on the yearly anniversary of the tragedy, the bells of the parish church can still be heard tolling under the waves. The Suffragan Bishop of the Diocese of Wenchoster still holds East Broadwench as his title.

 


Last Updated on 25/06/03
By Dean of Wenchoster

Return to Parish Index